Grace Design Introduces m905 Stereo Reference Monitor Controller
October 21, 2012 by David Weiss
You’ve got to trust what you hear. Grace Design is aiming to increase critical listening confidence with its latest product launch.
The company has just announced the arrival of their new m905 stereo reference monitor controller at the upcoming AES Convention. Designed for music recording, audio post-production and broadcast applications, the m905 is intended to provide an extremely high level of audio performance along with a comprehensive, intuitive feature set.
The m905 will be available for $3,495, via Grace Design’s channel of authorized US dealers and international distributors. Now, here’s more details on the m905, directly from Grace Design:
“The m905’s main audio circuitry and power supply is housed in a 2U, 19” rack mount mainframe, while system control is managed by a sleek, ergonomic desktop remote control. The rear panel of the mainframe provides balanced analog inputs on XLR connectors, and a pair of unbalanced inputs on RCA’s. Balanced Cue system inputs are available via XLR’s, and a balanced talkback mic input and output is also provided. 24-bit, 192kHz inputs are supplied in AES3, S/PDIF, ADAT and TOSLINK formats.
In addition, a 24/192 USB Class 2 asynchronous input is provided. Three sets of balanced speaker outputs are available via XLR’s as is a pair for Cue outputs, and the system also supplies multifunction, configurable XLR outs for a sub, as well as DAC and metering outputs. The m905 front panel provides a large, illuminated power switch and a ¼” reference headphone output.
The m905’s hardware remote is a new, ground-up design that provides hands-on control of all system functions. The remote is a combination of dedicated hardware and a color graphical LCD display, with primary monitoring features accessed via hardware switches and a level knob/encoder, while all system information is displayed on the LCD. This hybrid design allows for the solid feel and function of traditional hardware with the added power and functionality of a graphical user interface.
The m905’s extensive set of editable system parameters is carried out via the LCD and in normal operating mode, the LCD displays current system status, user-defined I/O names, etc. A second headphone output is located on the remote, and a built-in omnidirectional mic is provided for talkback as well as the system’s integral, real-time SPL metering feature.
m905 key features
- Analog inputs: unbalanced, balanced, CUE, Talkback mic
- Digital inputs: 2x AES 3, 1 S/PDIF, 1 TOSLINK, ADAT (selectable in 4 pairs, or 2 pairs in SMUX),
- USB Audio circuitry designed for completely transparent and musical playback performance
- Asynchronous Class 2 USB playback supports up to 24 bit/192kHz
- Mastering quality DAC circuitry with configurable de-emphasis filtering
- S-lock dual-stage Phase Lock Loop for ultra low jitter clock regeneration
- Sleek, ergonomic hybrid RCU with hardware switches, large level encoder and graphical LCD
- LCD display shows input, level, output, SPL and DAC status plus a powerful calibration menu
- SPL meter sourced by built in RCU mic – includes level, peak, fast and slow modes, A & C weighting
- Precision .5 dB step level control for speakers and headphones
- Reference headphone amplifier circuitry, with outputs on both the RCU and mainframe
- Built in crossfeed circuit for simulating loudspeaker listening with headphones
- Dedicated mono, dim, mute, sub mute switches
- Mono mode can be set to L+R summed, L only in both channels, or R only in both channels
- 3 available stereo speaker outputs, two available as 2.1
- Multi-mode SUB/ DAC/ METER out SUB out mode for stereo or multiple mono subwoofer outputs
- Digital loop thru output – fixed source (AES,SPDIF,TOSLINK) or follows the digital input source
- DAC out mode for a fixed DAC output fed by the selected digital input, level calibration from 0-100
- METER out mode fed by selected input signal (digital or analog), level calibration from 0-100 or post speaker fader level”