The Best Noise Reduction Plugins on the Market

I just hope my clients don’t learn to take them for granted. As sophisticated as these tools get, the most surefire way to end up with clean and impressive audio still remains “recording it that way to begin with.”

Justin Colletti is a Brooklyn-based audio engineer, college professor, and journalist. He records and mixes all over NYC, masters at JLM, teaches at CUNY, is a regular contributor to SonicScoop, and edits the music blog Trust Me, I’m A Scientist.

Pages: First | ← Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Last | Single Page

  • Dylan Smith

    Great post. For embedding photo galleries! This one works fast and simple http://wordpress.org/plugins/iframe-embed-for-momentme/. It collects images from social events also scans social networks and collects publicly available photos. Good for enriching your website content hassle-free.

  • ashoke

    Hi,

    When using software amp & cabinet simulation and playing live, there is a lot of noise playing hi gain metal guitar. Is there any way to tame that real-time?

    thanks

  • TrustMeI’mAScientist

    A simple noise gate will usually do the trick there. Many (if not most) amp sims will have one built right in.

  • Schorsch

    For audio restoration, I found Izotope RX2 pretty good. My experience with the products from wave are rather “meh” – but recently I came across the “ACON restoration suite” and found their digital noise removal VST plugin *excellent*. In fact I prefer it now over izotope RX2 and all others as probably the best broadband noise removal plugin I have tested. Very good results, no artifacts and no latency and very good adaptive mode which doesn’t cause any delays such as Izoptope RX2. Right now I am using this plugin in a chain using Vsthost to remove fan/AC noise from my microphone. The entire suite also only costs $99. You might want to test this one because (in my opinion) it beats many other noise removal plugins.

  • Syn-Fi

    i’m still using Bias sound soap on OSX Mavericks. I have found leaving Dolby NR off, on the source device and processing all NR offline works best

  • Syn-Fi

    Looks like Bias ‘sound soap’ are back in some form via : http://www.soundness-llc.com. They have iOS plugins.

  • busterdog

    iZotope is good.
    I found DeClick usefull for removing interferance from power supply.
    DeClip is only plugin this type that actually works.
    Both RX3 denoisers have good interface and work pretty good.

  • Tommy

    ReaFir.

  • David

    not mentioned in the article is AconDigital’s Restoration Suite ($100). I use it on Logic Pro X.
    I record voiceovers on the road from hotel rooms, and Acon’s Denoiser allows me to record damn-near-booth-quality VO tracks using a condenser mic in an untreated hotel room with the A/C and fridge running!! No more pillow forts or blanket tents (which don’t really work anyways).
    I’m beyond satisfied with the result. you can sample the noise, then “freeze” the profile which locks it in — so CPU load is reduced after that.

    Additionally, Acon has a De-reverbator that I use in conjunction with the Denoiser to take out room flutter echoes that happen as you speak. (another $100).

    You do have to play around with the knobs to get it set up right, or you can introduce weird artifacts. But finding the sweet spot is not difficult. I was set up the first time within 5 mins just playing with the knobs.

    All of that gets you to 95% perfect (plenty good enough for auditions), and the remaining 5% can be addressed with mic and voice technique, or covered up with music beds, etc….
    I’m jazzed about it.

    And one other thing: Acon lets you share your license on both your studio computer and your traveling laptop.

    Dave Saunders.

  • Prat Hansen

    a little update to the article. Recently there appeared new app and adobe plugin Noiseless by macphun – works great, removes noise, fixes images http://macphun.com/noiseless