Do you have tunnel vision, or are you constantly expanding your media universe? In East Flatbush, many disciplines are in action at Luminous Velocity, a nonstop melting pot of music and vision.
Facility Name: Luminous Velocity Productions
Location: East Flatbush, Brooklyn
East Flatbush is in the heart of Caribbean Culture here in NYC. The West Indian Day Parade is held annually here. We’re close to the 4 and 3 Train, and Bus Access is even closer. There’s a great variety of Caribbean food within a short walk away, and there are lots of good down-to-earth people from all walks of life.
Date of Birth: Luminous Velocity’s Studio started in the summer of 2007. We’ve grown in leaps and bounds to our present state since then.
Facility Focus: Where we shine is putting it all together, and delivering on what our clients need. Our studio handles Audio Production, Mixing/ Remixing (on-site/ remote), Composition, Mastering (Analog/Digital), and Visual Arts (3D, Video Editing, Motion/Print/Web graphics).
Mission Statement: Our mission is “Maintaining the Speed of Thought”. We work every day to create unique content, and bring the ideas of our clients and crew into reality. Simply put, our mantra is “make stuff real”.
Real to Myself Project (Ari Up, Anna Ozawa, Rhiannon of Subatomic Sound System) – Recording, Production, Drum Programming, Mixing, Mastering
LaGuardia Community College /Journey To Success — DVD Production
Hezekiah Walker — Recording, Mixing
X-Calibur / “Not a Club Song” — Production, Mixing Mastering
Tommy Tunes — Dance Mixes, Training
Dijay – Hood Divas -Deck Entertainment — Recording and Mixing for No Limit Artist Rick Flair – 20 Bricks
Denver Smith — Production & Drum Programming
3X Entertainment -Fire & Brimstone Project — Production, Recording, Mixing, Mastering
Aswad Kefentse — Production, Recording, Mixing
Deuce Fever — Production, Mixing, Mastering
Full Deck Entertainment/Bounty Hunters — Production, Mixing, Mastering
DJ Dino Mileta — Recording,Arrangement, and Mixing
Akhil aka Ambition – Major – JD Mac & Lyricosiz — Production, Recording, Mastering
Hefnaz Productions — Mastering
Soul Degrees Dubplate Project — Remastering
Legal Hustle Entertainment — Production, Recording, Mixing
Rolling Big Entertainment — Production, Remixing, Programming, Mastering
Tomkevich Studios — Custom Studio Acoustic Treatment
CC Cowan — Production, Drum Programming, Mixing
Our Children’s Foundation — Custom Studio Construction
Drama Desk Awards — A/V Setup & Engineering
TSA Records — Recording, Mixing, Artist Development
Asukaya Bailey (Kaya) – CEO/ Founder
Edward Jackson (Cott)– VP/Audio Production Director
Jorge Alexander Cifuentes – Art Director/ Packaging Designer
Jason Calderone – CG Director/ Lead 3D Artist
Isa Ramadan Shaaf – A/V Director, Producer, and IT Guru
Einstein Charles – Audio Producer & Musical Genius
Alana Conway – Marketing Supervisor
• Luminous Velocity Custom Built Intel Quad-core PC (XP/Win7) • RME Digi96/52 Adat Lightpipe Soundcard • Wacom 8.5 x 11 Tablet
• Tascam SX-1LE Mixing Console • Event 20/20 BAS Monitors (pair) • Event Tuned Reference 5 monitors (pair) • dbx 586 Dual Vacuum Tube Preamp • Native Instruments Maschine
• Macbook Pro • Digidesign MBox 2 • Yamaha HS50 Monitors (pair) • Native Instruments Maschine • Akai MPK-25 Midi Controller • Behringer Tube Ultragain (Vintage Series) • Alesis Midiverb 4 • Dbx PD48 Patch Bay
Modules and Keyboards:
• Yamaha Stage Piano • Akai MPC 2000 • Korg Poly61 Vintage Analog Synthesizer (Pre-Midi) • Roland Fantom 61 • Alesis QSR Rack • Korg Triton Rack with Sampler • E-Mu MP-7
DJ Station & Other Gear:
• 2 Technics SL1200 MKII Direct Drive Turntable (Silver/Black) • Vestax PMC 17A- 3Channel turntable mixer • Behringer Eurorack UB1204FX-Pro( 8 Channel Mixer) • Behringer Eurorack MX 1604A • Athena 8 Bay DVD Duplicator ver 1.35 • ART Tube Pac (Professional Tube Amplifier/Compressor)
• Digidesign Pro-Tools 8 LE • Steinberg Nuendo 3.4/4.3 • Logic Studio 9 • Ableton Live Suite 8.13 • Propellerhead Record 1.5
• Propellerhead Reason 4/5• Image Line FL Studio XXL 8 • Native Instrument Komplete 7 • Native Instruments Maschine x2
• and a host of other software instruments and plugins
Graphics and Video Software:
• Autodesk 3D studio Max 2009-2011 • Autodesk Maya 2009 • Autodesk Autocad 2009 • Adobe Master Collection CS4 & CS5
• (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, Premiere, After Effects) • Apple Final Cut Studio ( Final Cut, Motion, Sountdtrack) • Corel Painter XI • Autodesk Combustion 2008 • Pixologic Zbrush 4.0 • and other design and visualization software
Distinguishing Characteristics: We provide a quiet and stable environment, sizeable recording booth, great atmosphere, and wealth of knowledge to each person that graces our facility. Our best features are based as much on our people, as they are on our equipment. Our crew & setup is extremely flexible and personable. A big part of what we do is working intelligently to give each client the necessary personnel, tools, and time to get their vision/sound just right.
The building is on fire, you only have time to grab ONE thing to save, what is it?
Our 1859 Scoffield Bible – and other rare books. Hopefully some HD drives. We’d like to get as much out as two hands can carry.
Rave Reviews: People love the atmosphere, sense of humor, and above all else the sound. One person called us “MIB” (Men In Black), as they would never know that there are so many tools, toys and treasures hidden in a small unassuming building in Brooklyn.
Most Memorable Session Ever: Two sessions over this past year come to mind. The first was an impromptu session in April with Rhiannon Erbach (Subatomic Sound), Anna Ozawa(an incredibly talented vocalist/ instrumentalist from Japan), and the late Great Ari Up (R.I.P) of the Slits on Bass.
The second most memorable session was with Reggae Artist Aswad Kefentse, Shabu Bak Men Floyd & Aquah Tcherbu Beale (two classical African Percussionists from Sheps Hetep Ancestral Music), Andy Bassford (great guitarist who’s played for the Legendary Jamaican Producer Coxsone Dodd, Shaggy, and others) and Larry McDonald telling us about the good old days of recording using Stones from the Flinstones Rock Quarry. Good times…
Session You’d Like to Forget:
A few sessions have taught us to do smarter business, and to respect our craft.
Dream Session: Cott’s Dream would have been working with Michael Jackson, Portishead, Barrington Levy, Dennis Brown, Black Uhuru, Hughby Banks and the esteemed Edward Jackson senior.
Kaya’s dream session would be Burning Spear, U2, Jimi Hendrix, Ras Michael and The Sons of Negus, Augustus Pablo, The Abbyssinians, Yoko Kanno, Pink Floyd, and Muddy Waters.
For Einstein’s dream session he would like to work with Will.i.am, Timbaland, Machel Montano, Lord Kitchener, Jr. Gong, & Usher.
– Asukaya Bailey (Kaya), CEO/ Founder of Luminous Velocity